Monday, April 11, 2011

SEWING: A Soft Linen Birdcage Cover

For Christmas, my children gave me 2 adorable little parakeets!!
They are such cheerful little creatures.  They sing and chirp and LOVE to listen to my daughters play their amazing piano ballads. 
We have a VERY musical family, so the birds are constantly puffed up and happy :)


Up until now, I have been covering the cage each night with whatever I have around the house...an old piece of flannel has been sufficing. 
I was trying to think of something that would be functional AND pretty and finally got this little version in my head.

I had purchased the linen awhile ago, you know, thinking it was soooo sweet and I'd find SOMETHING to make out of it!!  So when I started going through my fabric boxes, I knew I'd found the perfect project for it.  Doesn't it look sweet??


My girls have affectionately named the birds "Barry" and "Kiwi" :)


So when I drew up this design on paper, I knew I wanted a matching piping.  But when I looked at the ready-made options available, I was not happy.  They were too big and bulky and I wanted more of a mini piping.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough of the fabric to make my own either.  So I had to come up with another solution.  I ended up buying a really small diameter cording and ready-made bias tape in the right color and made it out of that!!  It turned out great.


All of the details are simple, yet adorable. 

And the birds??  I think they like it too.


I'm so grateful for the opportunity to link this new blog to "Debbiedoo's Newbie Party" over at Debbiedoo's Blogging and Blabbing.  Isn't it such a neat idea.....helping us Newbies out??  THANK YOU, Debbie!!

  I'm also linking to Susan's, Between Naps on the Porch for "Metamorphosis Monday".  Which is a delightful place, like Debbie's, to find all kinds of fun talent!!  THANK YOU, Susan!!

That is of course.....if I can figure out how to do this linky thing.....I've only tried it once.  :/

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Alexandra! I want this on chair cushions!: ) Great fabric and your piping turned out wonderfully.

    I found you through the Metamorphosis Monday linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I love the look and such pretty fabric too. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party. Hey get out there and make some friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...that linen birdcage cover is so cute! The linen is beautiful and you are so talented to make something so cute (and without a pattern!!). Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Makes me miss not having done anything creative lately. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely cover you sewed there! Can see on the seams you like detailed work.
    Saw your comment on my blog, and since you sew I like to ask you about sewing machines... I had a Viking and it finally gave up after almost 4 decades. The Viking is so expensive now.
    My quandary is now which one - does your sewing machine have a blind hem stitch?
    Or do you know a brand that has that stitch included? (I know I can do research on the internet, but my experience is that I get better info from people who sew!) Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!
    You are very talented at sewing and I love the fabric you used. I bet Barry and Kiwi are loving it.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alexandrea!
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my room makeover.
    I used to have the sweetest little bird, and was never happy with the cage covers that were available on the market. You should consider selling your beautiful covers. There's a lot of people like me out there that don't know how to sew very well! (fusing tape is my best friend LOL!)
    I'll be following, and I hope you post more of your sewing and your home. I'd love to have you follow back???

    ReplyDelete
  8. bird cage decoration i like your way to represent these cages i love birds and i also care for them i like to keep birds in my eyes i love them to be mine and also i like for them beautiful cages i would like to appreciate you on this

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...